Sunday – Friday, July 10 – 15
Sunday 2–6 p.m. and
Monday–Friday 8:30 am.–3:30 p.m. daily
The Middle School Concert Band Academy is specifically designed for middle-level concert band musicians to enrich their understanding of music in an enjoyable, non-competitive and positive week-long program. In addition to rehearsals in the large ensemble, students will take part in instrument-specific master classes, as well as choose two electives (Improv, Jazz Introduction, World Drumming, Ukelele). The program will conclude with a band performance that is free and open to the public.
This event is closed for 2022.
- Morning music FUNdamentals
- Ensemble and sectional rehearsals led by experienced staff
- Varied, engaging repertoire
- Daily elective activities: Improvisation, Jazz Intro, World Drumming, Ukelele
- Finale concert
You will be asked to indicate elective preferences on the registration form.
- Improvisation for All — Open to all students regardless of instrument and experience. Instrumental musicians have been improvising for hundreds of years…well before the advent of jazz. Provides skills in both group and individual improvisation through an explorative and highly creative elective. Students will use their own instruments for this elective.
- Jazz Intro — Open to all students regardless of instrument and experience. Provides an introduction to jazz band for students interested in knowing more about this rich American art form. Students will use their own instruments for this elective.
- Ukulele — Open to all students regardless of instrument and experience. Explores and provides skills on this popular instrument within the guitar family…with historical ties to Hawaii and Portugal. Ukuleles are provided.
- World Drumming — Open to all students regardless of instrument and experience. Explores hand drumming traditions from around the world with all students engaged in “hands-on” experiences. Percussion instruments are provided.
Daily Schedule Overview
The Middle School Concert Band Academy will begin with orientation sessions and seating auditions.
- Sunday — Woodwind/percussion orientation, 2 – 4 p.m.; brass orientation 4 – 6 p.m.
- Monday–Friday — 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. This daily schedule is firm. We are unable to provide supervision prior to or after the program ends each day.
- The finale concert on July 15 (4 p.m.) is free and open to the public.
ELIGIBILITY — For students entering grades 6–9 in the 2022–2023 school year. All participants must have at least one year of playing experience.
FEE — $295: Tuition and T-shirt. No meals. Students will bring a bag lunch each day.
PROCESS and DEADLINES — You will be required to make payment via credit card at the time of registration. Shortly after submitting payment, you will receive an email receipt.
- Full registration deadline — Wednesday, June 15
- Limited registration deadline — Wednesday, July 6
(T-shirt may not be available)
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT — 100
NOTE — The registration/payment form works best on a computer (PC or Mac). MAC USERS — use Chrome, not Safari.
PERCUSSION has reached maximum capacity and is closed. If you are interested in being placed on a Percussion waitlist, contact the YSMP registrar (YouthSummerMusic@osu.edu).
- Parents/guardians and participants will receive permission forms via DocuSign shortly after registration is complete. All forms must be returned by the deadline indicated in order to participate.
- Shortly before the start of the program, a Digital Handbook will be published here. This handbook contains important information for a successful experience. All participants and parents/guardians should read it carefully prior to the start of the program and can refer to it often throughout the week.
- Approximately one week before the program, participants and parents/guardians will also receive an email with basic information about what to pack, arrival, parking, check-in and more.