Sunday – Wednesday, June 26 – 29
This four-day experience provides high school saxophonists with diverse learning opportunities to develop as both classical and jazz musicians, engage with peers, and enjoy the college experience at Ohio State. Participants will work directly with saxophone professors Michael Rene Torres and Shawn Wallace in group activities, chamber ensembles and full saxophone ensemble; will hear inspiring faculty and staff performances; will gain insight into topics such as saxophone fundamentals, improvisation and practicing strategies; and will perform in a finale Saxophone Camp concert!
- Take part in interactive sessions on sound quality, technique, vibrato, articulation, reed adjustment, voicing, altissimo, circular breathing and more!
- Get to know other saxophonists from around the country!
- Broaden your understanding of and approach to the saxophone with both classical and jazz styles.
- Receive supplemental materials for continued growth after the camp.
- Perform in both chamber ensembles and full saxophone ensemble.
This event is closed for 2022.
ELIGIBILITY — For students entering grades 9–12 in the 2022–2023 school year, and 2022 high school graduates.
INSTRUMENTS — Students are welcome to take part in the camp on alto, tenor or baritone saxophone.
- Resident: $495 — Tuition, T-shirt, housing with three meals per day.
- Commuter: $375 — Tuition and T-shirt only. No housing or meals.
REGISTRATION — You will be required to make payment via credit card at the time of registration. Shortly after submitting payment, you will receive an email receipt.
- Full registration deadline — Sunday, June 5
- Limited registration deadline — Wednesday, June 22
(Housing and/or T-shirt may not be available)
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT — 35
NOTE — The registration/payment form works best on a computer (PC or Mac). MAC USERS — use Chrome, not Safari.
- Parents/guardians and participants will receive permission forms via DocuSign shortly after registration is complete. All forms must be returned by the deadline indicated in order to participate.
- Shortly before the start of the program, a Digital Handbook will be published here. This handbook contains important information for a successful experience. All participants and parents/guardians should read it carefully prior to the start of the program and can refer to it often throughout the week.
- Approximately one week before the program, participants and parents/guardians will also receive an email with basic information about what to pack, arrival, parking, check-in and more.
ARRIVING OR DEPARTING BY AIR?
The final schedule for each program may not be available until a few weeks before the program begins. However, most programs have a closing concert in which all students will want to participate. For those departing by air, flights should be scheduled after 7 p.m. Please note, Ohio State Youth Summer Music Programs cannot be responsible for ground transportation to/from the airport. Contact the YSMP Registrar at YouthSummerMusic@osu.edu for details.
- Visit Youth Summer Music Programs Frequently Asked Questions.
- For questions regarding curriculum, email Michael Rene Torres.
- For questions about registration or payment procedures, email YouthSummerMusic@osu.edu.